more on classes and battlegrounds
April 2, 2009
Just to complete the picture, here is a set of battleground class performance charts for each of the x9 BG levels plus level 80. The y-axis now shows average deaths per game and not the inverse, so the sweet spot of high-kills-low-deaths is in the bottom right hand corner of the chart.
The sample consists of all players at each level who have played 100 or more BGs. The data is from patch 3.0.9.
There’s a lot of interesting things to note in those charts, especially when you compare the same class at different levels. Some are effective at all levels, others appear to change roles as they level up.
If you want the executive summary, these are the points that strike me:
- DKs are OP
- Rogues aren’t, even though people think they are
- Warriors are fragile, despite all that armour
- Warlocks are still a force in PvP as long as you don’t mind dying a lot
- Baby Paladins may be easy meat but the adult of the species sure isn’t
- Hunters seem to be the consistent high performer, but that is probably because they just play the same role (of ranged attacker) at every level
Do exercise some caution when interpreting these results. In particular remember:
- Some classes have fewer attacking players and therefore a lower average kill rate just because they have a healing tree. Other classes may spend a lot of time CC-ing instead of attacking.
- Some BGs have objectives that conflict with straight PvP. For example in Warsong Gulch, the classes that spend most time running the flag will have a lower kill rate because of that.
- This is data aggregated across every BG accessible at the level. There may be specific features of individual BGs that make certain classes more effective there, despite these charts.